Upper Hutt Railway Station building circa 1890-1900.
Two uniformed railway employees, and two other men, stand on the platform in front of Upper Hutt Railway Station.
In the mid 1870’s George Brown, son of first Upper Hutt settler James Brown, presented nearly 30 acres of land to the Government for the siting of a Railway depot at Upper Hutt.
This Railway Station building was officially opened on 1st February 1876, and from 1880 until 1909 the postal services were also operated from this station by the Railways staff. A small open seating lobby in the centre of the building accommodated some 20 people whilst a ladies’ waiting room was adjacent. Gents were provided for in a detached building to the rear.
The station was extended and a verandah added early 1900.
A new station was opened in 1955, the old building being demolished in 1958.
Photo Ref: 1/2-107603-F.
Colourising by Brendan Graham