Petone Railway Station 1920s-1930s
Some time in the late afternoon (possibly winter) with the sun off to the right, A man runs to catch the train on the left side of the platform.
The third station
The new station was opened by Sir Joseph Ward, Minister of Railways, on 26 July 1905, the railways workshops closing at 3.20pm and the school being given a half holiday in honor of the occasion. This building, was designed by Sir G A Troup, chief design engineer for the Railways Department. It originally closely resembled the Lower Hutt station but was drastically modernised and shorn of its distinctive cupola in 1956.
PETONE A HISTORY (Susan Butterworth)
Colourised By Brendan Graham 2015 from an original black and white Image courtesy of the Alexander Turnbull Library.