Lower Hutt railway station (Western Hutt Railway Station) taken by Muir and Moodie, circa 1900.
The building is now leased to various shops and businesses, and is called The Station Village Complex
The station used to be on the Hutt Valley Line section of the Wairarapa Line until 1 March 1954, when the Melling-Belmont section of the line on the western side of the Hutt Valley was closed and the through line to Upper Hutt and the Wairarapa rerouted through the centre of the valley. The truncated line to Melling via the Western Hutt Station was then electrified.
In the 19th century, the line from Wellington to the Hutt and the Lower Hutt Station were opened on 14 April 1874.
A new station building was erected in 1892, containing a ladies as well as a general waiting room.