High Street, Lower Hutt. ca1948
BUY THIS PRINT
Shows a car travelling along the street, with pedestrians crossing the road and other cars parked nearby.
At the time this image was taken (1948), the building on the corner of High Street and Laings Road stood as the Council chambers. The building originally served as the Post Office and was opened in 1906. In 1943 a new Post Office was opened on the corner of Andrews Ave and High St.
The former Post Office became the Council Chambers until it was demolished in 1957, after the erection of new Council Chambers and Town Hall further along Laings Road.
Photograph taken 1948 by Sydney Charles Smith
Colourised By Brendan Graham 2016 from an original black and white Image courtesy of the Alexander Turnbull Library.