Cable Car Lane, Lambton Quay, Wellington 7 June 1956
The Cable Car line opened to the public on 22 February 1902. Demand was high, with thousands of people travelling each day.
In 1903, a number of old horse-drawn Wellington trams were converted into cable car trailers, increasing capacity. By 1912, the annual number of passengers had reached one million. In 1933, the steam-powered winding gear was replaced by an electric motor, improving control and reducing operating costs.
Colourised By Brendan Graham 2015 from an original black and white Image courtesy of the Alexander Turnbull Library.